The Paragon Heartwood Mali Tama is a an authentic, professional grade talking drum that is capable of producing a wide range of pitch and great clarity of sound. Hand made in the traditional way by experienced cultural artisans in Mali, this versatile instrument is made from seasoned Dugara (Duki) wood, and a premium close-shaved goat skin. The density of the wood and the shape of the shell create great projection and volume, and clarity of sound. The tama is played by positioning it between the upper arm and the upper ribs, and playing one head with the curved stick while simultaneously squeezing the ropes in and out with the upper arm, and tapping and muting the head with the fingers of the other hand. Curved playing stick included. The sale of this instrument helps to sustain the livelihoods of cultural artisans in West Africa, and supports the charitable work of non-profit Africa Heartwood Project.
- Hand carved of seasoned Dugara wood in Mali
- Wood sealed with hardening oils to improve response and prevent cracking
- Wet shaved goat skin custom fitted to drum body, Plenty of strong white synthetic vertical lacings
- Hand-carved, curved beater included
- The sale of this product supports cultural artisans and the charitable work of Africa Heartwood Project