The Paragon Heartwood Mali Pro Bara Gourd Drum (BAH-rah, also bendre) is a gourd drum consisting of a large calabash, open on one end, and covered with goat skin. It doesn't produce bass notes, but has a strong characteristic, full low tone, and is capable of other sounds common to hand drums. Each bara is hand made in Mali using traditional methods.
- Large, thick calabash gourd, 15-17" diameter, 12-14" high, with 9-10" open playable surface
- Shaved goat skin mounted to gourd using stitching method - no metal tuning rings
- Nylon rope verticals, used to add or decrease tension on the head, with extra rope for handle
- Mellow, deep tonal sound quality, played with lighter technique than djembe or conga
- Hand crafted in Mali using traditional methods and quality materials
- Imported, African-made product from Africa Heartwood Project