This Guinea-made balafon (BA-la-fone), also known as a bala, or balaphone, is built and tuned to serve as a legitimate high-end, professional instrument. Africa Heartwood Project has established a network with a group of excellent bala makers in Guinea, who build each instrument by hand using traditional tools and techniques. The accurate tuning of the Har blades is impressive, and the sound created with the buzzing gourds is enchanting and very loud. Tuning is standard heptonic with major diatonic tonality in the key of C, D, or F (depending on inventory). Each bala comes with a pair of natural gum mallets, our money back guarantee, and the following features: * 20-22 blades per bala covering about three octaves * Har wood keys, hand tuned and smoked to dry and seal and prevent pitch warping * Strong bamboo, hardwood, and sinew frame, suited for transport. Dimensions: 46" L; 19" W; 8" H. * Accurately sized gourds with cellophane-covered holes for the 'buzzing' effect * Pair of natural gum mallets, perfect for bringing out optimal sound quality * Actual bala will vary slightly from photos above, but will match written description (World Percussion USA is the ONLY authorized seller of Africa Heartwood Project instruments on this marketplace. All other sellers claiming above to also sell this item as described are not honest sellers, so proceed with caution.)
- After import from Africa, each instrument is cleaned, inspected, tuned, and played individually to check sound and quality.
- Built and tuned to serve as a legitimate high-end, professional instrument.
- Har wood keys, hand tuned and smoked to dry and seal and prevent pitch warping.
- Strong bamboo, hardwood, and sinew frame, suited for transport. Dimensions: 46" L; 19" W; 8" H.
- Hand crafted in Africa by village cultural artisans supported by the non-profit Africa Heartwood Project .