This large sakara frame drum produces the lower tones in the ensemble. At 12-13 inches in diameter this drum is made for the more experienced percussionist. The sakara originally comes from Nigeria and is played using traditional frame hand drum technique. By holding the drum in one hand and simultaneously muting and releasing the skin with the same hand, and striking the head with the other hand in various locations, the drummer is able to obtain many different sounds. Our sakara are custom built for us using clay frames and wood tuning spears, which one can push further into the slot for a higher pitch. Lower tuning is obtained by lightly rubbing a damp hand over the skin. (World Percussion USA is the ONLY authorized seller of Africa Heartwood Project instruments on this marketplace. All other sellers claiming above to also sell this item as described are not honest sellers, so proceed with caution.)
- Hand crafted in Africa using traditional methods, imported direct.
- Solid clay frame wrapped with quality West African goat skin, playing stick included
- Many tuning spears allow for custom pitch and sound
- Average 12-13 inches outside diameter of instrument including tuning sticks
- Imported, African-made product from Africa Heartwood Project, which sustains livelihoods for cultural artisans