Africa Heartwood Project djembes are hand-carved experienced drum makers in West Africa. The Classical djembes are specially crafted with sound quality and playability in mind, with additional attention give to aesthetics. The 7-8" X 14-16" is a smaller size version of a full size djembe; this is not a toy or merely a souvenier that you would expect to fall apart after a few months. Size is suitable for most 2-5 year old children, but is also great for backpacking and as a substitute for a bongo, or when tuned high, a dumbek. All Classical Heartwood djembes are backed up by our satisfaction guarantee, and feature our 10 Point Quality Assurance. Purchase with confidence, knowing each djembe is always individually inspected and tested before shipping. Decorative carvings in the base typically consist of tasteful geometric patterns, similar to those shown in the photos above.
* Hand-carved from a solid Mansonia wood using traditional methods in Ghana, West Africa, sealed to prevent cracking
* Strong natural African goat skin, never bleached, with custom fitted rings (2 top, 1 bottom), with ledge for bottom ring
* Durable black rope for loops and verticals with extra tuning rope wrapped, and well-shaped bearing edge for playing comfort
* Each drum is hand tuned before packing, with tuning knots started - Ready to play right out of the box!
* Built in Africa by African cultural artisans supported by non-profit Africa Heartwood Project