"Our Deluxe Small Natural Shopping African Basket from Africa Heartwood Project is simple and elegant, and contains no dyes or patterns - just the light brown color of the dried grass itself. We call it our "Shopping" bag because it is has two swinging handles and is perfect for holding a variety of items as it expands width, similar to grocery bag,This is the compact size, measuring about 10-11" long, 9-10" wide, 9"" tall, plus the 6"" handle for 14""approximate total height. The smaller 11"" size is suitable for use in carrying a variety of small items that don't require a flat base (like the round basket), and the U-shaped design keeps items from falling out as the contents add up. Because this basket doesn't stay open while at rest it is less suitable for displaying items in a fixed location. They're each equipped with durable, soft leather handles.
Each deluxe basket in our collection is made from the elephant grass which grows in the rich flood plains of the White Volta near the village of Bolgatanga, Northern Ghana. We love that women artsians, working in family & village co-operatives, hand-weave each basket using traditional techniques handed down from generation to generation. Non-profit Africa Heartwood Project supports the sustainable livelihoods of cultural artisans in developing countries by providing training, investment, and access to global markets.
To save you money this woven basket arrives flat-packed, reducing storage and shipping costs. Reshape by simply spraying or immersing in water, shaking off excess water, hand shaping while wet, then allowing to air dry. 5 minutes of basket love and your done! We include a care and shaping guide to help you keep your basket looking its best. Every basket is hand-made & unique, but trust that YOUR basket will closely match the written description & representative photos in this listing."
- Hand-woven by women in village cooperatives in Bolgatanga, Ghana from dried elephant grass using traditional methods
- Flat-packed, fully shapeable in 3 minutes, just wet, hand-shape, and air dry. 11" long, 10" wide, and 14” tall with the handle. Natural style, simple & elegant, no color dyes.
- Sturdy build, ready for everyday use in carrying items and shopping, at the market, farm, or at home, while adding culture and beauty to the decor. Stitched, soft, brown leather handle for durability and comfort.
- Free care & shaping guide included with each new new Deluxe Small Natural Shopping African Bolga Market Basket
- Female African cultural artisans supported in their sustainable livelihoods in part by non-profit Africa Heartwood Project
Watch our quick video on how to re-shape this flat-packed Deluxe African Basket in 3 minutes with only 3 steps! https://youtu.be/4cHZXYEATBs