This medium 10" sakara (sah-KAR-ah) frame drum has a wonderful resonance, capable of a wide range of sounds. Depending on the tuning and where the mallet is placed the drummer can get a lower bassy response, or mid-range tones. The sakara originally comes from Nigeria and is played using traditional frame hand drum technique. By holding the drum in one hand and simultaneously muting and releasing the skin with the same hand, and striking the head with the other hand in various locations, the drummer is able to obtain many different sounds. Our sakara are custom built for us using wood frames and wood tuning spears, which one can push further into the slot for a higher pitch. Lower tuning is obtained by lightly rubbing a damp hand over the skin. Our high quality sakara frame drum is covered by our satisfaction guarantee, and features:
- Hand crafted in Africa using traditional methods, imported direct
- Solid wood frame wrapped with quality West African goat skin
- Many tuning spears allow for custom pitch and sound
- Average 10 inches diameter of playing surface
- Wood playing stick included
- Made by cultural artisans supported in their livelihood by non-profit Africa Heartwood Project.