If you could mix a guiro, vibra-tone, and wawa pedal you would get this crazy percussion toy we call the African Slider Guiro. By sliding the gourd over the carved ridges in the cane body a guiro-like sound is produced. The resonating chamber is the Togo seed, which, when touching the vibrating cane, can be covered by the thumb (like a vibra-tone) to change the pitch, creating a wawa effect.
This instrument features:
- 18 inch tall cane with carved ribs and leather stoppers
- 2in hollow Swawa gourd and open Togo seed on leather cord
- Handcrafted using natural materials in Ghana
- As a handmade product exact appearance may vary from photos
- Playing instructions:
1. Hold handle and seed pod in one hand, grip round gourd in other hand
2. Slide gourd up and down stick quickly, in rhythm
3. Touch seed pod to handle in rhythm, which changes/amplifies the sound of the the sliding gourd
Hint: The technique of simultaneously holding the handle and touching and lifting the pod on and off the handle with one hand will take a bit of practice. have fun!
|Country of Origin||Ghana|