This decorated gita (GHEE-tuh) is hand crafted in Ghana, featuring detailed artwork etched into the exterior surface. The medium size makes it suitable for use as a percussion instrument or dance prop, as home decor, or as a functional dish. The traditional gita is made of half of a calabash gourd with bead or shell pairs attached around the open rim. It can be played like a drum, producing similar stroke sounds as membranophone hand drums, or it can be girated in two hands causing the shells to hit against the gourd in rhythm. The gita is traditionally played both as a percussion instrument and as a dance prop in creating choreographed percussion movement and sound. Each gita is hand made in Ghana using traditional methods, is covered by our satisfaction guarantee, and features:
- Strong half gourd with smoothed edges, about 12 inches diameter, 6 inches high
- 15-18 pairs of unique, durable glass beads attached around the open edge with leather
- Surface died in deep red or green, then etched with detailed geometric patters
- Hand crafted in Ghana using traditional methods and quality materials
- Made by cultural artisans supported in their livelihood by non-profit Africa Heartwood Project.