Thione Diop is a master drummer from Dakar, Senegal West Africa. His
ancestors were griots and he was taught the traditional Senegalese rhythms
at a young age. He is a dynamic player and he brings his wealth of knowledge
to your home with his first DVD. He resides in Seattle, Washington where
he performs and teaches. This DVD is a great chance to learn from a master
drummer. This Hands in Motion Productions DVD features:
- Watch and learn as Thione plays the rhythms Aconcon, Diba,
Djan, Kotoba, and Wango. Recording was done in a professional
- This is the first DVD of it is kind to have a karaoke style notation.
Follow the notes as they are played. Pick up wherever the rhythm is
and never be lost again.
- Easy menu navigation using your remote. Each rhythm has an intuitive
menu to get to the part you want to learn. Over 70 different videos
and over 240 audio tracks to choose from. Each part plays in a loop
so you can keep practicing the same part without touching the remote.
- Two djembe accompaniments per rhythm. Dunun rhythms have separate
parts for the dununba, sangban, and kenkeni. Each part has SLOW and
- Ensemble videos include all djembe and dunun parts playing the rhythm.
Thione solos to some of the fast rhythms.
- The -Rhythm Info- section is of Thione talking about the
rhythms origin and when it is played. Information of when to play the
part in relation to the break is also included. All parts have players
view and front view. This is an excellent way to learn technique.
- Four audio tracks per part. Play the part alone, or with the other
instruments. Each instrument is mixed for separation so you can hear
the relationships. Sounds great with headphones and stereo TV sets.
- With this DVD you can instantly access ANY of the parts. Searching
the VHS tape is eliminated and is a thing of the past! DVD is superior
to VHS in terms of resolution and durability. DVD can be played back
thousands of times without degradation.
Product Reviews: Arthur Hull - Author of Drum Circle Spirit:
- Thione Diop is young for an African teaching traditional drumming
in America, but because the Diop family has passed ancient wisdom and
living history from generation to generation, Thione is a very, very old
young man. Thione represents the legacy of the Diop drumming lineage with
clarity, deep humility, and reverence.
The Hands in Motion Production staff and Thione Diop has created one
of the most approachable DVD presentations for learning traditional hand
drumming that I have experienced.
In the -Rhythms of Senegal- drumming lessons, you are immersed
into the playing group in such a way that you can have an overview of
all the others hands on their instruments while having a clear model of
the specific part that youre learning.-
Video Samples from Thione Diop DVD:
Click on an image below and the video will automatically start
in Windows Media Player.