This petite ngoma (n-GO-muh) drum has all of the characteristics of the full-size Congo-style ngoma, but with less weight and bulk. With incredible bass response and full dissonant tones, these ngoma are fun to play and impressive on stage. The inside dimension gets narrow right before the feet begin at the base, creating stronger tones and larger bass. The ngoma drum comes from the Congo and surrounding areas, and produces a sound similar to the conga or tumbadora drum. Our ngoma drums are hand-carved in West Africa from a solid, seasoned log of Mansonia wood, modeled after ngomas carved in the Congo. These ngomas will sound great as part of any Latin or Afro-Cuban ensemble, but are specially suited for traditional Congolese drumming. The ngoma is played standing with drum tilted, secured by a waist strap. Each ngoma is covered by our satisfaction guarantee, and features:
- Average 11in playable surface, 38in tall
- Thick cow skin head gives it that powerful, warm tonal sound
- 3 or 4 carved feet opens the base, necessary to produce full range of tones
- More narrow throat improve tonal qualities and increases bass response
- Ledge carved for bottom ring to help keep it in place for even sound distribution
- Hydrated with coconut oil and shea butter to preserve shell, with outside surface sealed with a light coat of lacquer to lock in moisture
- New black nylon rope, pre-stretched and comfortable to handle
- Cloth covered rings ensure long rope life
- Extra tuning rope included, easily tuned using the Mali weave technique
- Comes to you with the verticals tuned up, ready to play
Design note: Each of our ngomas are hand carved, so the exact shape will vary somewhat from the pictures shown. However, the sound and general construction will be as described, and similar to the representative photos shown above.
Shipping note: Due to the length of this drum we cannot ship international or via US Postal Service. Shipping rates reflect UPS Oversize 2, 60 lb. rates.